Saturday, December 25, 2010

Why did I decide to write a blog?

I took a couple of days off over this holiday to basically get through.  And we kind of did.  However, in this time I had a thought, why am I doing this?  And here's my best guess...

In Exodus 4:10-12, it says "But Moses said to the LORD, "Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue." Then the LORD said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak."

I asked myself this when I started.  Do you really want to do this?  Because I think I know where Moses is coming from in the above verse.  I am not the best writer, as you may have already noticed.  I tend to be very pessimistic, and it causes me to expect the worst. I am always expecting something bad to happen.  You can ask my wife.  And I am not an expert at this at all- I'm not completely sure what value my perspective has.  I have a bad temper, and can get mad easily.  I also tend to have a lazy streak. So really, why am I writing a blog?

Its funny, because considering what I said above, and that is just the tip of the iceburg, I feel compelled to write this blog.  I have watched my wife pour her heart out for the past couple of months in her blog, and I find myself agreeing with what she says.  Almost to the point usually.  Except I want to add my twist to it.  And that is big news for a man with seemingly little to say, like myself, to want to pour out myself for others, in the small chance it might help someone else.  So that is the starting point for the idea to try to motivate others to journey toward hope in that they might in turn see the value in people.  People are important.  God thought people were important enough that he came and died, because of the love he had for each one of us, and that he wanted us to know we are treasured beyond gold.  We are important.  You are important.

Yet, God is the real reason for this blog.  Because my answer came in the same manner that Moses's came.  It's as if the Lord says to me, did I not create your hands and mind?  Did I not make you just who you are, with the experiences you have for this time?  It is not the time for idleness, but action.  Now write, and let me be your voice. 

So I am left with no alternative but to write, and believe that God will take this small work and use it for his own glory.  I have found that I am incapable of great things on my own.  The harder I try to do something great, the less likely I succeed.  As irritating as that sounds, I have come to expect it and in a way imbrace it.  It's almost like the Lord is laughing at me and shaking his head.  It's his funny way to remind me that I am useless without him. 

To conclude this thought, there are a couple of things I want you to take from my thoughts.  First of all, in my own mind, I have a one person target audience-  me.  My goal in this blog is to look at myself hard enough and strong enough to truly see my own warts, and by doing so, give God a means to change me.  There are millions of people in the world that need us to show mercy, kindness, love, and hope;  yet we are blind to it.  I am blind to it.  My God wants me do great things for him that I might bring him glory.  I can't do that if I am useless in my own sin.  The other thing I think is important to take from this blog is that there is value in a person.  You don't have to know someone to know this.  It is easy to yell at people on the interstate because they didn't use a turn signal, or were going too slow.  It is easy to get mad at the DMV worker because they are doing their job.  Again, these are easy to do because you don't know the person, and it doesn't effect your life.  Doesn't really change anything, except you may feel better for a moment.  I used these examples because I have done both in the past 48 hours.  Yet, I wish now that I had considered my actions a bit better.  Because they have value in the eyes of God.  Just like you and I do.

4 comments:

  1. there is so much value in your words. you have touched me greatly already. thank you so much for the reminders. thank you so much for your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that God has his hands over these You and Brandy both and in all this, amazement is what I see God doing! Thank you both for allowing us to be part of this journey♥

    I love how you remind us that all that is in this world and everything God has made is important to Him! I know that is hard for our society, especially in America, to remember that God made all of us in His image not our own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be weird to hear this, and it's weird to say it, but I'm proud of you. Proud of you, blessed by you and praying for you still

    ReplyDelete