Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Our Opposite Perspective on who we are...

I hate Joel Osteen.  Well not really, I guess that is a bit strong.  I don't know him, so it would be hard to hate someone you don't know.  However, I do hate what he stands for.  The Jimmy Swaggert types.  Preachers that stand in a pulpit with $$$ in their eyes.  Preachers that are looking to grow a congregation, rather than really reaching people.  Churches that model themselves after business, rather than Christ.  I hate it because it's wrong. 

Please don't misunderstand me, because it definitely can make you rich and famous.  People gravitate to the wealthy, the powerful, the greatest whatever it is.  That is why politicians and sports figures are so popular.  And the pastors of churches that fall in this category definitely can have it all.  And it's easy really.  It's easy to say the right thing that doesn't make you uncomfortable, that doesn't offend.  God wants to bless you.  God wants to do great things for you.  God wants to bring you greatness.  It sure does sound good, too.  Everyone wants to hear that.  God wants me to have this Porche, because he wants to bless me.  God wants me to win the lottery, and I know he will help me because he wants to bless me.  It really is easy to sell this.  Much easier than you are really screwed up, and its only through the grace of God that you are here.  However, the lie above brings in the masses, because it is easy, it is light, and it doesn't offend. 

I should point out that God does want to bless you, but I tend to think these guy's definition is different from God's.  His definition of being blessed typically doesn't include money or power.  But it does include how you impact others.  Think about where Jesus really stands out in the Gospels.  It's not the "Rock Star" persona he shows a few times, especially when he is headed to Jerusalem.  That was great and all, because it showed that the people acknowledged who He really was.  But in my mind, Jesus really stands out when he interacts with people that are nobodies, people that are broken, people with disease.  People that are hurting.  Because at these points, he is their hero, their savior from themselves, their glimmer of hope in what was to that poiint a hopeless existance.  It's that love He shows people that think He doesn't know them from Adam.  It affects them, changes them.  These are the ones that can't be quiet, because these are the ones who saw who Jesus really was.  His impact on the people was much greater when He did a miracle, rather than when he talked to the people.

Don't think I think the words of Jesus are of little value.  Just the opposite, they are the basis of the description of what we strive to be.  Yet, I think God left the His miracles in the Bible because He wants us to know that is what we are supposed to do.  We are supposed to act.  We are supposed to Pray and ask for guidance, but just as important we are supposed to act when it's important.  When it matters.  It matters when people are hurting.  Orphans and widows are hurting.  Homeless men and women are hurting.  People addicted to drugs are hurting. 

I just watched a documentary about sex slave traders in Eastern Europe, and how they kidnap women from families and sell them to people in other contries for sex.  These were sisters, wives, mothers forced to do something they didn't want to do,  It was horrifying, but was reality for these people.  And they were permanently damaged emotionally, probably never able to truly love again.  I also watched a video the other day about a youth group that visited orphanages in an Eastern European country in the past 10 years.  The video showed images of these orphans that was horrifying.  They looked malnourished, and were desperate for someone, anyone to hold them and love them.  Yes, the youth group went away moved by the horrible conditions.  But they went away just the same, and these children went back to their hopeless existance.  No one to love them, to care for them.  This is just two examples, but this goes on everyday everywhere. 

So what is my point here?  My point is we want to hear that everything is ok, that our world is ok.  But it's not.  It is just the opposite of that.  When I look at myself, I see 2 things.  I see a foolish sinner that has been bestowed with Amazing Grace.  God loves me so much, and I am so grateful.  However, I also see someone who is so lucky I was born where I was, bestowed with the blessings I have been given.  I don't need to be rich or powerful.  God has blessed me because he has shown me love.  Our chase for wealth and security leaves us missing the point.  We are already given so much, yet we are greedy for more.  Our greed for our "place in life" keeps us from really doing what Jesus wants us to do.  From really taking up our cross and following Him.  I am terribly guilty of this.  And I think Jesus cries over the ones above, because they are hurting so bad with no hope, just like the ones in the Gospels that He showed mercy and grace toward.  He wants us to be His body, and do the same.  Yet our own pursuit after ourselves prevents us from seeing this glaring need.  Others need us, but we can't get out of our own way. 

So Mr. Osteen can tell you whatever you want to hear.  And you may even get it.  But I am here to tell you it is a lie.  Our blessing doesn't come from what we can get, but what we can give to the glory of Jesus Christ.  And the gift of ourselves to others is really the greatest gift we can give.

4 comments:

  1. Michael, I love reading your posts. Your insights are amazing and I'm so glad you are putting them where we can all see them and be touched by them. Thank you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am with heidi. thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. you have really been speaking to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, a wonderful post, Michael. Thanks for sharing and please keep it up. You are real and that is so rare these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your insight to life here in America. It is hard to see all this life going to waste because we are afraid to step out of our box and help others. Thank you♥

    ReplyDelete