Wednesday, January 19, 2011

That's my Abigail


Take a look at the video above before reading.  It will make more sense if you do.

The first time I saw this video I cried for 10 minutes.  Nonstop- couldn't have if I wanted to.  It crushed me.  Frankly, it still does.  I have a hard time watching it now without breaking down. I will get to why in a minute.

God puts certain people on this earth at certain times to champion a message.  Think about how the prophets came at just the right time with the right message from God, and how Israel responded.  Eric Ludy, I believe, is one of them.  Looking past the music and his ability to speak, the message he brings here is what is important.  His message is about Life, and how people are important.  People we have never met.  Children we have never met.  We are important.

The first time I saw this video, God spoke to me.  Similar to Eric Ludy, which is weird, but I think in a more powerful way.  God's question for me was "What if that was Abigail?"  At that point, I broke down.  There is nothing I would not do to get her back.  To be honest, if I had to kill someone to get her back, I would.  That is how strongly I feel.  So when God asked me this,  it was crushing.  I can relate to "calling everyone I know; doing anything I can" that he expresses here.  Because I would.

God poked me with this so I could get a glimpse of how much he loves us, how much he loves me.  He knows how I feel about my daughter.  How much pain and hurt there is that she is not here-how I would just about do anything to see her again today.  It was his way of saying "That's how I feel about everyone..."  We are important.  These kids are important.  Mr. Ludy is correct that we live indifferent to what happens around the world.  It really doesn't affect you or I if a child sleeps alone without a family, or for that matter, starves to death in another country. It should, but it doesn't. 

If we really are followers of Christ, we should do what Christ would do, right?  Christ is clear on taking care of widows and orphans.  It's not ambiguous- there's really no grey area.  James 1:27 says "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after ophans and widows in their distress..."  Psalm 68:5 says "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling."  Zachariah 7:10 states "Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the foreigner or the poor."  If God is the father to the fatherless, and we are the body of Christ (which is God, by the way), shouldn't we be the fathers to the fatherless?  That's not ambiguous to me- thats a clear command from your Creator.

People that sit around and wait on God to tell them what to do are not really paying attention.  He already has.  No where in the Bible does it say to wait to do something you are commanded.  It's one thing to wait on him when it is not real clear in the Bible, such as who to marry.  Such as what line of occupation should I follow.  Those are two examples that are not directly addressed specific to each of us in the Word.  However, we are all addressed when it says to take care of orphans, widows, and the poor.  You are addressed already.  You have been commanded already.  I have been commanded already.  What are you waiting for?  He is not going to put it in neon lights for you.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I too was very touched by this video when I first saw it several weeks ago and have been reading a couple books HOLE IN OUR GOSPEL and RADICAL that are very convicting as well. My husband and I are just weeks from meeting our newest daughter from Eastern Europe--whom we are naming Abigail, by the way. May God use your passion.
    In Christ,
    Joy (Reece's Rainbow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see a husband/father's point of view. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete